Why is it that when we are sick, we revert back into childhood mode? A head cold seems to be the adult kryptonite. After dealing with the snotty symptoms periodically for 28 years, you would think that I would have learned to take it like a man by now. Nope.
1. Eating crappy food. Nevermind that I know eating healthy food with actual nutrients will help my body recover. I want salty, rubbery noodles that have been sitting in my cabinet for 2 years.
2. Raiding CVS. When I go to pick up my prescription, I will buy everything that has anything to do with curing the common cold. Menthol shower tablets? Got ‘em. Emergen-C? Check. Did you know they make tissues that will actually kill the germs for you???
3. Buying things I don’t need. Along with coughing, congestion, and irritability… impulse shopping is also one of my symptoms. Surely, a bottle of obnoxiously-colored nail polish will help me feel better.
4. Giving cough syrup the stink eye. Seriously, WHY does this stuff taste so bad? I’m not five years old anymore, can’t we make it taste good now?
5. Watching bad daytime television. I would listen to Ina Garten’s soothing voice all day long if I could. Unfortunately, it’s the Food Network, not the Barefoot Contessa Network… so at some point I have to listen to Sandra Lee. If only the remote was within arm’s reach so I could change the channel…