A few days ago I did one of my favorite “spring is officially here” activities: I bought a new pair of sunglasses. This year I went crazy and bought a new case, too!
It seems kind of shallow, what with all the gorgeous signs of spring found in nature. But this seasonal retail therapy is a tradition for me. I don’t wear sunglasses in the winter, and so I’ve usually lost or damaged my shades from last year by the time that first warm, soul-stirring, nose-tingling, spring-like day rolls around. That rosy feeling, that desire to wear something bright and paint my nails obnoxious colors… it’s like an old friend who’s come out of hibernation.
Here are some other marvelous yearly occurrences that I ALWAYS forget about… until they actually happen:
- the first day I don’t wear a coat to work
- the first flip flop purchase
- searching for last year’s bottle of sunscreen, wondering if it’s still good, throwing it out and buying a new bottle
- tearing my house apart looking for my fuel belt for that first long, hot run… because I haven’t run more than 10 miles since the fall and therefore, thrown my fuel belt in the back of a closet (I have yet to figure out which one.)
- the first run in shorts
- the first time I realize I don’t need to have the heat on in the car, which is usually followed by….
- the first time I drive somewhere with the windows down
Whatever signs of spring you relish… I hope they’re a pleasant surprise for you, like they are for me. Soon the first signs of summer will be upon us, some of which aren’t quite as pleasant. (The first mosquito bite… I can wait a while for that one!)